Recipes in this post:
KALE CRISPS on a
CELERIAC & TOASTED HAZELNUTS SOUP
(serves 2 or makes a great starter for 4)
(use as many kale leaves as you like; EVO oil; salt and spices):
- wash and pat dry the kale;
- remove stems;
- lightly dress the kale leaves with EVO oil and salt; you can replace the salt with any other dry rub, like peri peri, turmeric powder, ground cumin, etc.; do not drench the leaves, just get them slightly shiny, otherwise they will not become crispy;
- place the leaves on an oven tray lined with parchment paper; do not overlap the leaves;
- bake at 120ºC fan (275ºF) for about 20 minutes, flipping the leaves over after the first ten minutes.
Kale has become a staple in my winter kitchen. It is a lovely vegetable and it matches gloomy weather beautifully.
Nevertheless, I do miss the sun, the heat, and I could certainly use less rain on an average week, so these crisps (chips, for those across the Pond) remind me of a child’s summer treat. Kale’s bitterness and sharp edges will give you the perfect British winter feel, while soothing you with its aromatic notes and tannic finish. It is a super easy and fast recipe.
For the prep, I recommend to play the world famous 1960s song (you can check its fascinating story here); sing along, if you know the lyrics, and then enjoy a crunchy feast in your mouth.
Use the kale crisps as the perfect garnish for this easy peasy celeriac soup (recipe below) and you will discover a symphony of perfumes and textures that will cure your winter blues in no time.
Celeriac & toasted hazelnuts soup
(1 celeriac; 1 handful of hazelnuts; EVO oil; salt; oat milk/cow’s milk/cream):
- remove the celeriac skin and cut it into chunks;
- toss the celeriac chunks in a bowl with EVO oil and salt flakes; optional, add 2 tsp of vinegar;
- bake at 200ºC fan (425ºF) for about 30 minutes until golden and tender;
- while the celeriac bakes, place a few peeled hazelnuts on their own in the oven with just a sprinkle of salt for about 10 minutes till they start to get brown on the edges;
- blitz celeriac and hazelnuts with 1 tbsp of EVO oil and 2 tbsp of oat milk, or cow’s milk, or cream (depending on whether you want to keep it vegan, vegetarian, or indulgent on the dairy side); before serving, warm it up in a pot with a glass of water or broth.